The Making of Ultraman

This is not my usual kind of post but a girl needs to branch out every now and again.

A few years ago, my husband told me about a couple of obscure tv shows that he had loved as a child.  They were both Japanese shows.  They were Johnny Socko (also called Giant Robo) and Ultraman.  I found both series on DVD that year and he received them for his birthday and Fathers’ Day.  The DVDs are great. Ultraman goes from dubbed English to subtitles and back.  And the monsters are fabulous.

I tried to find an Ultraman doll and could only find vinyl dolls, most of which were from later series and not the original that my husband loved.   So I bought a bunch of felt and decided that I would make him a stuffed Ultraman doll.

Well, I have to be inspired to take on a craft project.  I’m not the best at sewing, and anything that requires measuring and such, well, it makes me nervous.  I can’t even color in the lines.

About a month ago, I saw the felt looking at me from the top of my closet and decided that it was time.   So, here’s my story about the making of Ultraman (which I just finished an hour or so ago).  By the way, my son saw Ultraman for the first time today, we watched as I was finishing the doll.  He loved it.  He yelled for the Science Patrol when the monsters were sneaking up on them.  It was perfect.  I think he’s going to steal the doll.

First, I did research.
Then I drank. I mean, I did more research.
Then, I drew a pattern.
I cut out my pattern and laid out the fabric.
Then, I started pinning.
And pinning.
Then I cut out the gray felt, which was the front of Ultraman.
And I cut out the red fabric for Ultraman’s back.
Then, I realized that I should have made separate pieces for all the “decorations” for the front of Ultraman before I pinned the main pattern to the large pieces.  So I kind of eyeballed it and drew “patterns” for all of those pieces and cut out those pieces.
After I cut out all the pieces, I started pinning the “decorations” to the front of my Ultraman.  This was tedious, trying to place everything right.
Then I started sewing the pieces on.  I hate sewing.  But I like making things.  So, whatever I need to do to achieve my goal will be done. I was so happy every time I got done with a specific color of embroidery floss, it meant I was that much closer to my goal.
Once I finished sewing on the first “layer” of adornments, I added the elements for the next layer (the yellow stripes on the arm and the blue thing on Ultraman’s chest).
Then I sewed.
And sewed.
And more sewing.
And more sewing.
The part I am most disappointed in is the thing down the middle of the face.  I should have just made a flat piece but I was trying to be true to the character and made it three dimensional.
I sewed up both sides to the neck and then I started filling Ultraman with stuffing.

My biggest mistake was in making the arm holes too small.  It made them really difficult to fill with the stuffing. It seriously took about a half hour to get the arms stuffed.

I had some excess fabric to trim once I’d sewn the front and back together.
And here he is, the finished Ultraman.  It only took 3 years (active working time was probably about 20 hours, for everything. I’m really slow).
Advertisements

One thought on “The Making of Ultraman

  1. Pingback: Needles and Pins – Part One « The Incredibly Enthusiastic Girl

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s